Sunday, July 27, 2008

On the Bike this weekend

Well this weekend was spent mostly on the back of a motorcycle.
On Saturday after spending an hour at the gym, Todd and I rode over to the Wild Fire Harley Davidson shop in Villa Park because they were having a tent sale. The items in the tent were cash only so needless to say we didn't purchase anything due to the fact that we don't carry much cash with us. After checking out the store we found a Chinese restaurant near by and had a buffet lunch. Todd later took the bike out twice; once riding around with our neighbor and again after supper.

Sunday Todd was supposed to go riding with an old co-worker, I told him if they guy backs out, I would ride with him. So we got up early, grocery shopped, I went to the gym and when I got home asked if he was still going. Todd said no that the guy backed out so he wasn't going. I told him after lunch I would be willing to go with him. We got on the Internet trying to pick a spot to ride to. We decided that we would take Route 66 until we got tired and then turn around and come back.
Well Route 66 was very windy and pretty boring until we hit Wilmington, IL. As we approached the town we saw Giant Guy (see Todd's blog) we rode through town and they were having "Catfish Days" a parade was about to start so we decided to leave the town before it started (we should have stayed and watched the parade and head back) but instead we kept going down route 66 until be got to Braidwood. We stopped at the Caseys for something to drink and Todd asked the guy where 126 would take us. He informed us to I55. We decided to take 126 to I55. I didn't wear a helmet and riding on 55 without one was something I don't like to do. We got on I55 and decide we would get off when we could and take a frontage road. The exit we got off on didn't have a frontage road so we decided to go west and see if we can cut north. Todd said he saw a big bridge so that must mean it's a major road. The bridge actually was a covered bridge made of metal (Which was nice and warm to go through, did I mention it was quite windy?). We took this and ending up following the DesPlaines River which was really pretty, and would be gorgeous in the fall. Unfortunately every street we decided to take to get back North ended up being a no outlet. We decided to head back to I55 via the warm metal covered bridge and took I55 back to Weber Rd and then the Weber Rd route home.
I would like to go to Wilmington/Braidwood/126/I55/Metal Bridge/DesPlaines River route again with out having to go via Route 66 or I55 sometime in the fall when all the leaves are changing.

1 comment:

Raelynn said...

Riding without a helmet?? Bad Mary!!