Sunday, June 8, 2008

Our Vacation 2008

We left for Tenn on Sunday June 1st driving over 500 miles to get to a cabin we rented for 4 nights in the Smokey Mountains. We started to plan for this vacation probably around the 1st of the year before gas prices hit $4.00 a gallon. We had to rebudget the vacation toward the beginning of May when we realized there was not going to be any decline in the price of gas and instead it would continue to go up.

Anyway, we left early morning Sunday and arrived at around 4:00pm Here is what our cabin looked like from the outside along with our view of the mountains from the side porch.



We brought some food with us so we grilled hamburgers that night and rested in the jacuzzi and in the cabin the rest of the evening.

Monday we headed off to Dollywood. It wasn't quite the tourist season yet so the line for the rides were no more then a 15 min wait. The 2nd picture is one of my favorite pictures from the day. It was taken after the boys rode this ride.





One of the shows at Dollywood features a celebrity guest each week. This time it was Jimmy Fortune the tenor from the Statler Brothers. Todd got to meet and get his autograph after the show.


The next day we went white water rafting. I don't have the pictures from the CD we purchased downloaded yet, but let me tell you, the whole trip was worth just doing this. I have always wanted to do this and I am glad I took the opportunity to try it. We are now looking for places near by to try it again.

Our last day in Tenn we went to the Smokey Mountain National Park. It is one of the few National Parks that are still FREE to the public. We took two hikes; one to a water fall called Catarats Falls and the other UP the mountain to Laurel falls. We hiked 1.3 miles UP the mountain. Todd and I had to take a slow pace walking, I almost gave up a few times. Everytime I thought about quitting, a group of people who were older then I would come past us going down the mountain. I would look at Todd and say "If they can do it, so can I". Well we made it up the mountain and it was worth it.

The rest of the day we went to a few local stores (a scrapbooking store, Ben & Jerry's and The Christmas Place) and spent our last evening BBQing steaks, packing and finishing an UNO game we started the night before.

The next morning Jordan woke us up at 4:00am telling us he was about to take a shower but a Scorpion was in the tub with him.

Well since we were already up from the scorpion incident, we decided to pack up and get on the road. We hit the road at 5:30am and got home at about 4:00pm we probably would have gotten home sooner but due to traffic in IN we were at a stand still for a while.

Anyway I did take alot of pictures but decided to share only some of my favorites. Make sure in the near furture you check Todd's blog, I am sure when he writes about our vacation he will include different photos.
We had a good time and I would probably return just to Raft the Pigeon River again.

No comments: